Or something like that...
We bought a home that had been vacant for many years during a pretty severe drought. Of course, a few days after we close the heavens open up and we get many days of much needed, and severe rains.
We knew from the survey that there was some dry rot that needed to be addressed. Alas, the good news about the rain is we found all of it, as the water just came streaming in.
We found a small river through the living room that was fed by leaking windows and a faulty chimney. The small pond in the "mud room"was fed by water that was intruding under the front door, and the big sag in the ceiling in the bedroom was due to an 18 inch hole in our roof.
I teetered between being grateful for finding it to despair of buying the floating version of the "Money Pit."
What I learned in this process in that the house had been sitting cattywampus, listing a bit towards port, and being off balance with aft section sitting lower in the water than the bow. As a result, water would pool in different pockets of door and window frames and then rot out the existing infrastructure. So what do you do when you have this situation? Well, you go down in the bilge and start moving around the balast.
The hull of the house boat has a bunch of cinder blocks, 5 gallon buckets of water, and other heavy objects that were in place to counter balance the contents of the prior residents. (Apparently the contents included an upright piano [more on that later], so it's no wonder that things were a bit off kilter.)
We also hired Paul Turner, who is carpenter that came well referred from some friends that are going through a similar remodeling journey in their new place. Paul showed up, got the boat level, and started digging into all the leaks and rot.
The other thing he discovered is that our roof is canvas, yep you read that read that right...it's canvas pulled over plywood. I understand its a normal maritime/boat application for this type of structure. Still...weird to think that we're living under what is something that is akin to a circus tent.
Enclosed are a few photos of where we are in this stage of the progress.
|Hole in the roof, intruding in to the bedroom|
|Beginning of repairs in living room...during the day you can see the Estuary through it.|
|Front door water intrusion into mud room.|
|Upstairs window leaks and moldy drywall.|